Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Hair Mutt: PCOS and Hair Care



Let's talk about hair for a quick moment.


I have long hair that loves to fall out, become brittle at a moments notice, and hates me not-so secretly.

I dyed it because I had a horrible reality check regarding my future as an isolated individual.

I regret it and I want to cut it all off.

PCOS and hair don't have the best relationship. You either lose it little by little, or dry it out, or over moisturize until it looks like you're constantly walking in a rainstorm. Because it's summer I've been wearing my hair up more and more, which damages the hell out of it because I'm constantly twisting, pulling, and knotting it up like a sheet in sex. (gross).

Products that have helped me in the past are:

Avalon Organic Biotin B-Complex Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner 

Pantene Pro-V AquaLight Shampoo and Conditioner (good for extremely fine hair)

Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil Treatment (twice a month, greasy for 2 days after wash, but worth it later on.)

and that's all that has worked for me in the past. Other things that might work are anything by PHYTO which you can get at Sephora or Normstroms, but they are crazy expensive. I used to use them because I could pick them up for pretty cheap in Italy...buttttt not anymore.

Since I'm insanely broke I've been using the Pantene Pro-V AquaLight line and it helps, but my hair does feel a bit dryer. It cleans my hair better than most shampoo and conditioners. I try to go the organic and "natural" route, but my hair is so damn demanding I need something a little stronger to do the trick.

Lots of people have asked me if PCOS and the "no-poo" (not washing your hair with shampoo i.e. baking soda and apple cider vinegar) would work out. I've tried the no-poo before and it just didn't work for me. My hair is so so so fine. BABY fine that the two weeks that I used the baking soda/apple cider concoction just destroyed it. I ended up having to cut off about 5 inches after a month of attempting to go "commando" hair-wise.

My tips would be to feel it out AND TAKE BIOTIN TABLETS WITH COLLAGEN. Target has some at a pretty reasonable price now from the Optimal Solutions brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment